Tuesday 4 January 2011

Italians...at the airport

I just got back in Nantes after my holiday home.
I left yesterday morning from Milan with a direct flight to Nantes.
The airport was pretty busy and even if i got through the check-in desk quite easily, I got stuck in a neverending line at the security point. The queue was so long that i had to walk back upstream for 20 meters, in order to find its end.
I was patiently waiting while getting closer to the stairs, the same stairs i came down to, two guys got into the line just in front of me passing ahead about 50 people.
A girl behind me ironically said " Ah, that's how it works..." and i simply smiled at her nodding with complicity. I thought "That's why this country is coming a cropper. I can bet on who they vote for" But i didn't say a word. Yesterday though, I realize how guilty I was as well. Yes, the fault for my country decadence was also mine. I should have talk, I should have kindly asked " Why are you doing this? Are we all stupid standing in the line?" Simple kindness against typical shoddy Italian slyness...or rather ignorance, the one who rules the country.
This is one of the cases where discretion and prudence are not qualities. One the contrary, they are the early stage of the conspiracy of silence. In Italy we would need more people who care about the sake of the collectivity. I should have talked to make things change. At least i might have offered those guys the chance to doubt about their action. As I didn't, it is sure they are going to do it next time. This one was quite an innocent trick, but it reveals the true essence of nowadays Italian way of thinking and acting. The image of Italy we export abroad. Bloody hard to eradicate as it is now true for the whole Italian society: from the ruling class to the last travelling asshole.

2 comments:

  1. You didn't say a word to them and now you are here complaining to us, innocent readers that never cut lines and that read your post one after another, in the order you write them. Or do you think that those "Cetti La Qualunque" went home, read your post and now have a bad conscience because of their actions? Anyway, your blog rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Cetto read English?

    ...I guess I went wrong once again...

    ReplyDelete