Tuesday 26 January 2010

about Danish mentality

Last friday night i was volunteering for a duBnBass event in Aalborg and I spent some hours at the door, being that annoying person who checks the stamp on your hand.
Besides the hard job to ask people to show me their hands, it was more annoying telling people to pay if they haven't done it before, especially after 1am, especially if you know them.
We, me and my friend, both struggled against our friendly attitude, to be responsible, danishly resposible and, if needed, we made them pay...at least, most of them.
We knew some of them got in without paying: some of them run into the club so fast that we couldn't stop them. At one point, one guy asked about earplugs and got in to see if they were selling them at the bar:
"I'll come back" he said.
"Ja, selvfølgelig..." (yes, of course..) we replied hopeless.
It's not necessary to say that he didn't come back.
After the end of the concert, I saw him while getting out, so i seized the moment and i asked him with tongue in cheek: "hej, where's your stamp?"
"Oh, right, i have to pay you!" and he gave me 100kr.
"We are closed, i don't have any change now"
While insisting on giving me the note,
he was serious, he wasn't surprised or anything. And actually, I was the one surprised. Surprised to see a guy insisting for paying an entrance fee at the end of a gig.
"Det er Danmark" (This is Denmark), i thought.

After a couple of minutes while the crowd was streaming out the club, another guy stopped by our desk and, as serious as the previous one, said: " Hej, i'm sorry if i got in without paying..."
My friend and I stared each other completely astonished..."Hvad???"
I couldn't believe my hears...people feeling sorry for crashing a party. Such a story couldn't happen in my country, not even in Germany, as far as it seems.
So, "Ja, det er Danmark!" and I love it.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment