Monday 16 May 2011

Writing e-mails in the middle of the night has always been one of my passions.

I am a terribly romantic soul who doesn’t want to give up writing letters, and still hope, in vain, to receive some. A letter is always welcome. I think. I can’t imagine of anyone who is not happy to receive a letter. Of course, except for those coming from the income tax agency or those of condolence. I love the moment when you look at the envelop, trying to figure out from where it comes from. The curiosity to open it when you still don’t know who sent is one of my favourite feelings. When I was about 11, I used to have a pen-pal. Her name was Jessica, she was Finnish. We wrote each other 6 letters. Six extremely colourful letters, that travelled back and forth from Italy to Finland for about a year. I remember I was going home from school every day, eager to listen to my mum saying: "The letter has arrived”. Then internet came, Jessica and I exchanged few emails more, then I lost my Finnish friend. I think I started using internet when I was about 12. Thank to my elder brother I felt a pioneer.

Only less than 15 years ago Finland was so far away. I don’t regret carrier pigeons, but I can’t help hiding to be a fan of the slow movement, also in communication. Slow communication. I don’t regret social media evolution, I am actually extremely fascinated by that world and its communicative potential. But, to me, it definitely overpassed the borders, and sometime I need a detox therapy. Detox therapies are demanding. It’s a bit like leaving home without my mp3 player, or opening a chocolat bar and put it away after only a bite. Suddenly though, the feeling of having succeed pays you so well back. Unfortunately, receiving letters is more and more rare. With the thousands of positive stuff that internet brought along, I won't never ever forgive technology to have deprived me from the little spark to receive a letter. Technology changed the way to communicate and destroyed my romantic moment, or made it even more elitarian. Actually, at the beginning, it was still fine. At the beginning, e-mails were a faster and updated version of mail service. Opening outlook was a bit like checking the real mailbox. Having one e-mail was the little joy of the day. 10 years ago, maybe 15...there were no newsletters, nor spam, not that much at least. But, above all, Mark Zuckerberg was only 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment